Bunion is characteristically a hallux valgus deformity which affect the first metatarsophalangeal (MTP) joint. The 1st metatarsal bone deviates medially & the 1st phalange deviates laterally. Sometimes it is accompanied with inflammation of the 1st MTP joint.
Bunion is most commonly seen in individuals with flat feet owing to their over pronatory walking pattern. Bunion deformity implicates that there is excessive pressure exerted on the forefoot region. if left uncorrected the deviation keep progressing & results in over lapping of the great toe & 2nd to deu to progressive weakening of the transverse arch.
- Redness and inflammation over the great toe either unilaterally or bilaterally.
- Deviation of great toe away from the body.
- Pain and discomfort over great toe while walking.
- Hard skin or callus over great toe.
- Orthotics to redistribute the pressure evenly & thereby reduce the pressure coming over toes.
- Use of Bunion/ Hallufix night splint to prevent further deterioration & overlapping of toes.